f

Sunday 10 September 2017

Lady-in-Waiting

It was my Grandma's birthday this week - she's 97 now and doesn't like a lot of fuss, just a visit every now and again. We all started talking about the amazing things she experienced - growing up in the countryside in the Roaring 1920s, working as a lady's maid in a castle as a teenager, escaping the war in London in 1940s...the 50s, 60s, 70s... all that time and change. 

She was never an extravagant lady, but she was always well turned out and classic. A hat to match every outfit and a little scarf for 'a bit of comfort', as she used to say. Never any lipstick or rouge!

My look for this post is inspired a little by her, with a little spot of orange thrown in for a modern twist. I'm not sure she'd go for something like this as a whole - not least because feathers in the rain are hideously impractical!


I remember when she used to look after me as a child, she wore a huge brown tweed coat and carried a big patchwork bag that looked like it could carry the whole world in it. 

When this Fendi bag came out, I'm pretty sure it was the first thing I bought and I haven't really worn it at all. Objectively speaking, it's not even my favourite bag, but it really reminds me of the bag Grandma used to carry. Same for this brown coat-dress from the new Royalty selection. Do I see myself wearing it a lot? No, not really. But I'm drawn to it, because of my Grandma. 

Funny isn't it, the effect that your childhood memories can still have on you even now? I know that even long after she has passed away, every time I see a brown tweedy coat, I'll think of her and smile to myself. 

Ingredients / You Will Need
Dogtooth Doublebreasted Coat | Royalty
Peek a Boo Faux Fur Bag | Inspired by Fendi Tribute
Charcoal Streetstyle Overcoat  | Strike A Pose
Mock Neck Sweater | Archive
Wild Faux Feathers | Bonjour Bizou
Right Arm Closed Palm | Strike A Pose
LE Wide Patent Leather Belt | Limited Edition
Nude Knee High Socks | Jean Paul Gaultier Tribute
2006 Strap Heels | Museum Mile


1 comment: