f

Wednesday 18 January 2023

Go West-wood

We said goodbye to icon Vivienne Westwood at the very end of 2022, and as expected, there are a lot of homages being paid at the minute. 
 
Ten or so years ago, I went to a panel that Vivienne Westwood attended at my university where she talked about what it meant to be an individual in today's society and the future of fashion from an environmental and ecological stance. She was extremely interesting to listen to, if a bit chaotic, and fairly bonkers honestly. It's a shame to think she's gone!
 
It's either a fitting tribute, or an incredible coincidence, but we kicked off Winter Tributes with Vivienne herself. I really enjoyed this showing - lots of interesting, cool pieces but it was all about this blouse for me.
 

I struggle with purple - you'll notice I don't style it too often (though I'm trying!) and I almost always pair it with orange tones. This blouse is warm in tone though - a pinkish, reddish kind of purple - so I think it casts a little classier. Purple can feel like a royal costume or a bit childish to me.
 
It's all about the sleeves though - lots of scrunched sheer detail and a subtle polka dot that feels more like a texture than a pattern. They're a modern take on the Victorian silhouette, with that deep scoop under the effectively exposed bust. 
 
And that's the vibe of this look over all - it's so covered and yet so indecent! The high split, the slivers of skin where the curve of the corset pulls away from the lower waist of the skirt. The risque sheerness, but the matronly headscarf. The hints of yellow, I hope, lift it a bit as well and bring a bit of irreverance. 
 
This certainly won't be the last thing I style from this Tribute, you can be sure of that!
 
Featuring:
Dotted Transparent Corset Top • Inspired by Vivienne Westwood Tribute
Black Skirt • MSW
Balenciagia Inspired Headscarf Black • It Girls
Gold Earrings • Nelly.com
Almond Sunglasses • Subcouture
Multi-colour Gucci Handbag • Callie's Picks
Black Banana Heels • Nicholas Kirkwood Tribute


No comments:

Post a Comment