f

Monday 2 July 2012

The hype of hotbuys?

So, Hotbuys - they come out every month and there are ten of them, they're usually just fairly regular items, so what's the big deal with them, what makes them the topic of many discussions over many blogs and clubs?

The hotbuys used to be amazing, I used to anticipate them with great excitement, they were stylish, fashionable - and best of all, affordable for everyone. 
My favourites were definitely the accessories, they were always well designed, and for me, they suit my style and work well with the colours I like to wear - these are items I wouldn't sell for anything, I love them and my doll may be seen clutching one of them or accessorising with one of them every so often.
But new Hotbuys are pushed quite far back in my mind, I don't really follow them that much, if I see one I might try it on just to see if it suits me - to be honest when I'm shopping on Stardoll(either in the Plaza or the Bazaar), the price is one of the last things I'll look at, if an item suits me, is my style and fits nicely - I'll buy it! Some people don't have that option, but when it is there - I think it's important to buy things you want to have and not be restricted by a price tag, you only live once and you might as well enjoy that![I am referring to Stardoll mostly here! It's a tad different in RL!]
So just today the first of the July Hotbuys was released - the July ones have gone with the Neon theme:
It's from Original Future and costs 13SD's - ok, so that's not too bad these days. So I try it on my medoll, for me it's a little large, and the splatter pattern isn't really my thing. But now comes the tricky part - styling it. I just can't do it well! I stuck with beach wear as it is more of a beach bag than anything else, but to me it just doesn't look right. And then I think about later, when I'll be trying to sell it because I don't want it. It's 13SD's for me, I'll want to make a profit, even just a small one of a few SD's, do I really think someone would pay 16-18SD's for this? No, I don't. 
For me - it's a definite "no buy".
I do love neon, and the colour is easily workable for me, but it's still a "no buy".

With the older Hotbuys I never had to do all of that thinking just to buy! It was a simple, try on, like, buy. No working out a profit or finding an outfit it could go with - they would go with everything I had, and I wasn't planning on selling.

And now onto prices. I remember a loooong time ago when the majority of Hotbuys were like 5SD's, with the odd exception that one might have been up to about 12 which was seen as pretty outrageous and a rip off - these days we're lucky to get them for 12! This is discussed in pretty much every post anyone writes about Hotbuys, so I wont linger on it really.

So I want your feedback on Hotbuys - are they too expensive and not nice enough? Or do you love the Hotbuys?

1 comment:

  1. The hotbuys have really gone Down hill, The graphics look terrible and they all look to alike. The prices are too high, I would pay a high price if they were nicer.

    ~ bracken1234

    ReplyDelete